Saturday, March 7, 2015

When Sopranos Inspire Young Singers Like Catriona Murray

Brunette Ambition: Catriona Murray is on the rise
(Photo: Snooty Fox Images)
In a new interview, young soprano Catriona Murray talks about those she looks up to:

Who, in the contemporary market, do you look to for inspiration?
I think that Angela Gheorghui is gorgeous and amazing. Barbara Bonney, Felicity Lott, Yvonne Kenny, Lesley Garrett - too many, I think each has inspired me in some way at some stage having listened to their recordings and interpretations of the songs I've been trying to sing myself! Katherine Jenkins is stunning - love her style but she's totally opposite to me... I'm a brunette! Ha!

She also discusses her decision not to take the reality singing competition route; why she loves her gay friends; what her ideal recording would be comprised; thoughts on what would make opera appeal to the mainstream; and what inspired her to pursue opera. [Source] Hear Catriona Murray sing "Vissi, d'arte" after the jump.